According to the Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry the following may be some of the signs a child will display if they have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder:
- Has trouble paying attention
- Has trouble sleeping
- Makes careless mistakes, no attention to details
- Easily distracted
- Has trouble finishing assignments at home and at school
- Has trouble listening
- Has trouble following multiple adult requests
- Is squirmy or fidgets a lot
- Cannot sit still, jumps out of seat to run or climb
- Seems "on the go" or "busy" all the time
- Talks a lot and interrupts others
- Has trouble playing quietly
This list is by no means covers all cases of child or teen ADHD and all the warning signs. Each child is very different. Parents and teachers who know the child the best can tell if the child is displaying behavior that is out of the ordinary. There are many cases that are diagnosed but started with simple behavior problems at school or home.
If you notice these warning signs in your own child you may talk with your pediatrician about what the best way to go about treating the issues. The pediatrician may refer you to a child psychiatrist or psychologist.
ADHD Statistics >>